How to Fix Sidekick for Apple Mail on OSX El Capitain and later

Sidekick is one of the best mail utilities out there. Especially on OSX, combining the power of Apple Mail, and the possibility to track your email opens, it’s one of my favorite apps.

Unfortunately, the Hubspot team dropped support for Sidekick for Apple Mail, starting at OSX El Capitain. That said, the current app only does support OSX 10.11.0; Sidekick will cease to work if you update to OSX 10.11.1 or later (10.12 as of the time of this writing update, on the stable channel.)

The video below explains exactly the steps to take to reactivate Sidekick for Apple Mail. Tested on OSX 10.11.0, 10.11.1, 10.11.2, 10.11.3, 10.11.4 (respectively Apple Mail version 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, and 9.4.)

For MacOS 10.12 / Sierra, read the update below.

PS: If you’re into the technical details, below the video is a brief explanation.

The SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs key in the Sidekick Info.plist file, is sort of a manifest for the plugin, declaring itself compatible to Apple Mail client UUIDs (Universally Unique Identifiers.)

What we did was simply get the system’s current Apple Mail’s UUID (from /Applications/Mail.app/Content/Info.plist), and add it to that list!

Download

Sidekick removed the download section of their Apple Mail’s plugin, but here’s a direct download link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/dl.getsidekick.com/applemail/index.html (no longer works); http://zakelfassi.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/Sidekick.pkg

“Login URL is invalid” error

If you get the “Login URL is invalid” while logging in using your Google account, try to set a password for your account, and login via your email/password (creating a new email/password account is the easiest way to do so.) — Restart Mail after you do this.

Thanks to Jonathan Wizman and Vinny Troia for pointing this out.

Update: OS Sierra

Thanks Spike for the suggestion and Elijah for testing.

On MacOS Sierra, you should ALSO replace the SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs key (inside Info.plist) with Supported10.12PluginCompatibilityUUIDs. And Voilà!

Stuck?

Leave a comment – I’d be more than happy to help.

111 thoughts on “How to Fix Sidekick for Apple Mail on OSX El Capitain and later

1. Robert

Would you mind helping me? I’m not as tech savvy as you but I love Sidekick and would love to get it working again on my Mac.

1. Brian

hi Zak!
          I just installed Sierra and wasn’t sure exactly how to get my sidekick running based on what you wrote above.
          Do you have step-by-step list for us non-techies?

Thank you!!!
          Brian, NYC

2. Scott

Thanks Zak! Definitely adding this to my favs even though 9.2 is currently working with 10.11.2 beta. The official osX is waiting to be updated… very hesitant to download it. Any thoughts?

1. Scott M Wasserman

Totally forgot about this fix. All is working except… the notification that usually pops out, top right of screen is not for any email sent with the new fix.

Any old notification, either sent through the iphone, gmail, etc still pops.

any thoughts?

3. L_eonardo B ilello

hi Zak
    You are a lifesaver…I am Currently on 10.11.3 and apple mail 9.2. and my friend did what you said in your video and right now I am email tracking on the web based hubspot dashboard, but, I am not seeing the notgifications that fly in on the top right side of the browser.

Do you still get the flying notifications in your set up and perhaps something might have been done wrong on my end?

Thank you in advance!
    L_eonardo

Happy that helped!

As for the notifications, yes, I still get them – but only sometimes on Chrome. It could be a bug in Sidekick’s extension.
      The notifications work better on mobile IMHO.

1. L_eonardo B ilello

Yes I am getting them now…not 100% but close enough..thanks once again..I was actually considering spending a lot of money to install windows on my mac, then purchase Window10 and then purchase outlook for windows….

If you are ever in NYC I owed you a coffee or 3!

4. Peter Hoffmann

Hi Zak,
    I use OS Yosemite 10.10.5 and Mail Version 8.2., so I think I should be able to use the normal sidekick plugin. But The thing is I can’t find it online anymore?
    Could you maybe send me the “old” sidekick plugin for Apple Mail?
    That would be really great!

Best,
    Peter

Hi Peter,

Technically, the new version is backwards compatible – and the new version should work. If not, the steps described here would solve the problem! Hit me up if you have any question >> z [~AT~] kelfassi [~DOT~] com

Zak

1. Peter Hoffmann

Hi Zak,
        thanks, but the thing is the new version is available online. At least I can’t find it. Do you maybe have the file, and you could provide? I sent you a personal e mail earlier, with my e mail address.

Appreciate it!
        Best,
        Peter

1. Zak El Fassi Post author

Not sure if they still offer the installer for Mac (also, I’d suggest not trusting any third-party site with an installer!)

5. Peter Hoffmann

Hi guys,
    You should all know, that Zak is amazing, and has just supported me to install Sidekick on Apple Mail (I still use Version 8.2). Thanks Zak, appreciate it very much!!!!
    To everybody who uses this plugin: Are yo guys able to access your templates from Apple Mail? I don’t see any button, where to enter is from?
    It should be able to pull the template from Hubspot, once I define the recipient of the e mail.

Thanks!

6. larry

Hello,

Thanks Zak — great info !!!

So I got it working, except the ‘tracking’ is not working exactly…
    On the sidekick stream, it ONLY is tracking sends… not open, not clicks ?

I have El Capitan 10.11.3 (so latest mail and sidekick for mac)

I’m not sure why its not tracking opens/clicks.
    I did a test from gmail — same issue? So that tells me its not a mac/apple issue?

NOTE: I did see the tracking url was on my test email… really odd its not tracking clicks?

thoughts?
    thanks

Hi Larry,

Sidekick attaches the IP address to the tracking “pixel” – so you probably won’t be able to trigger the open/click; try to open from your phone’s mail client (or send me a mail > z [~at~] kelfassi [~dot~] com )

7. AM

H1 ZAk,

had mange to get it back on 10.1.4 today with your tip. that said, had the app Sid8§•ªking over on my iphone even though my hubspot integration over at my mbp had reached its month limit .

unfortunately, after the update 10.1.4 and even thought your trick worked, iphone spot showing me who opened the messages.

any ideas.??

8. Manuel Ximenes

Hi Zak,

Would you mind helping me? I’m in anyway a tech connoisseur as you but I love Sidekick and would love to get it working again on my Mac. I’m running El Capitan 10.11.4 and mail 9.3.

Tks

1. Kris

I just got my sidekick working on the exact same version as you…following Zak’s video tutorial….good luck

9. eric

Tried like your tutorial but when I click on login in the mail app preferences; I only get a white rectangle…
    Any idea on what’s wrong ?
    El Capitan 10.11.3
    Mail app 9.2

Thanks

1. Zak El Fassi Post author

Eric, could you try removing the plugin and starting with a fresh install? (download link above.)

1. eric

Hi Zak,

Yes I tried but it still doesn’t work.
        Don’t you think this could be a problem with this first line :
        #For Mail 9.1b3096.4 on 10.11.1 build 15B38b
        71562B89-0D90-4588-8E94-A75B701D6443
        ?
        As my mail version is now 9.3 and ios is 10.11.4

Great app anyway ;) !

2. Raphael

Hi Zak,

Thank you for your help!

I use Apple mail. After doing all the changes you told in your video it seem that I have to uninstall and starting with a fresh install.

But if I try to start uninstaller there’s just a error page:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

AccessDenied
        Access Denied
        337464792508D2F5

L/v8dMETKRjyISbvyBKu1nSNsgjHUXNGvtUbETm9gJaQ3V7WYPMu0KeUBB/DJEDP

How to remove it and starting a fresh install?

Thanks,
        Raphael

10. Kris

Hey Zak,

Mate…just wanted to thank you for your simple instructions on how to get Sidekick working.

Sidekick – now Hubspot Sales, has an app on iPhones and iPads…so if you send an email via that app (With your default email logged into), you can even get notifications, even when you send emails from your mobile phone or iPad….

Just one small issue…but not a deal breaker…the little “bell” notification on the top status bar on the Mac…just doesn’t show up, when somebody has opened the email…but I think this “bell” notification disappeared when Hubspot upgraded Sidekick for El Capitan….

Did you get this to work?
    Many thanks for your wonderful video…I now have Sidekick working…

Cheers
    Kris

1. Zak El Fassi Post author

Glad it worked out, Kris!

Never seen the bell notification to be honest. Maybe you’re talking about Google Chrome notifications?! (in which case it does only appear if Chrome is launched.)

1. Kris

Hi Zak…oops..my bad…yes, I did mean the Google Chrome Notifications….but now I don’t bother keeping Chrome open…

Awesome work there Zak..and thanks again.
        Kris

11. eric

Hey Zak,

Tried like your tutorial but when I click on login in the mail app preferences;
    I only get a white rectangle…
    Any idea on what’s wrong ?
    I’m now El Capitan 10.11.4
    Mail app 9.3

Thanks

12. Eddie Johansen

Hi!

I cannot fint the latest sidekick pkg file since the link doesn’t work above.
    Is it possible that one of you guys have the pkg file on you’re computer and if, can someone e-mail me that pkg file? :)

Best reegards
    Eddie Johansen

13. Dianne

Hi Zak. I have OS 10.11.4. I watched your video but don’t fully understand how to do all of the things you did. Could you help me figure out what to do? Thank you!

14. stu

I tried to login after following the video instructions and I get this error message – “This login URL is invalid.” “Please check that you clicked the correct link, or that you copied the link correctly into your browser.”

Any thoughts?

15. Ben

Hello,

Many thanks for taking the time to post this article. I have the same issue when the addin is launched and I try logging in with my google account I get the error “This login URL is invalid.”

Do you know where or how I can correct this?

Best
    Ben

1. Rich

Hubspot recently changed Sidekick to Hubspot Sales with 10X increase in price. It might stoppped supported the Mail add-on. Just a guess.

1. Zak El Fassi Post author

Although it changed, the Mail plugin still works (as it uses the same infrastructure/APIs.)
          Could be a random bug …

16. RB

Mac Mail 9 .3
    OS X 10.11.4
    Sidekick 2.6.1

This method is working, the only thing is that the option to “auto track emails” is not available anymore. There is no visual that it is working, but after testing a few messages, it is absolutely working now.

Thank you so much Zak!!!!

1. Zak El Fassi Post author

You gotta manually enable tracking it from Preferences>Sidekick panel; (for future ref, in case it doesn’t show, just uninstall the whole thing and run the installer in this post.)

17. Kevin

Zach, you rock! Thank you for alleviating a huge headache as I havent had sidekick working since last week via mail. Wasn’t too hard to do and it is back!

18. Chel

Hi Zak!

I followed your steps but for some reason when I launched Mail, I didn’t have that pop up that says Sidekick has a new version. Really need your help!

Thank you very much.

Best,
    Chel

19. Andrea

Hi Zak, nice video. Done everything, sidekick is on (Mail 9.3), everything looks fine, but actually all messages appear as NOT OPENED in the activity stream. Do you know how to fix this? It actually tracks messages but not when they’re opened.
    Tx!

Hey Andrea,

You gotta make sure to open the email from another IP address/client to test (eg. nobile phone via 3G); as Sidekick tries to minimize the false positives.

1. Scott M Wasserman

Zak. not sure if you missed this…

Any old notification, either sent through the iphone, gmail, etc still pops.

any thoughts?

1. Scott M Wasserman

1/ Sent tracked – Shows in stream as sent and unopened.
            2/Not getting the opens either in the stream or Mac Notifications (or iphone)
            3/ Answered in #2….

Thoughts? They show as sent, just not as opened.

1. Zak El Fassi Post author

One thing I can think of (which, only makes sense) is the “tracker” (hidden image sent with the email which fires the open) isn’t being loaded. Maybe images are not being loaded automatically.

1. Mike Rusaw

Same thing for me… restarted and I am now logged in… Time to test if it works! Thanks so much.

1. Mike Rusaw

I’m on OS X 10.11.5 Mail 9.3 (3124) Observations:
          1. Crashed my Mail initially but reopened and all good since
          2. Sent mail is being tracked in Activity stream when sent to myself but not tracked when I open in Mail
          3. Opened same email in Outlook for iPhone and it marked it as tracked
          4. Properly added activity records for pipeline as well

So a little buggy but what a time saver. It’s worth it!

Hey Mike,

Quick notes:
            1/ It only crashes Mail if the app is still running in the background/not killed (while you’re performing the file edits.)
            2/ That’s how it’s supposed to work, to reduce false flags.
            3/ Your iPhone is recognized as a different device. Hence the opened state.

20. O. Lopez

Thank you for your instructions! I followed them, and I got Sidekick to work again. However, I do not see the box on the actual e-mail window to indicate that I want that particular message tracked. Have you noticed that? I did not see it in your video either. Do you know what might be the cause of that?

O. Lopez

1. Zak El Fassi Post author

Glad that helped. The checkbox was removed in later versions due to incompatibilities. You can still enable/disable tracking via the sidekick panel in the Preferences menu.

21. Jonathan Wizman

Like a couple other people I am receiving an error that states :
    “This login URL is invalid.
    I would gladly send you attach a screenshot but it does not allow me… How can I go about fixing this issue?

22. Amir

Updating the plist dos not seem sufficient to upgrade for Mail 10 (macOs Sierra ) do you have another recommendation ? :)

1. Zak El Fassi Post author

Haven’t tested on Sierra to be honest – but very likely it will break (as Apple Mail is getting slowly rid of all third-party plugins…)

Can you check what version of Apple Mail it is?

1. Afonso

Hi ZAk,

all good here on 10.11.6 mail 9.3 (3124). Thinking of updating to Sierra. do pls let me know if you can fix that, i would be nice.

Warmest regards from São Paulo – Brasil

1. Zak El Fassi Post author

No idea if this will work on Sierra – will try to upgrade during the weekend and email you with the result :)

Zak

23. Mario

HI Zak, I just followed your video and I would like to know why sidekick stream showed that I didn’t open the email ( I sent one to myself )..

el Capitan 10.11.4
    Mail 9.3

Thanks Mario

Hey Mario,

Try opening it from your mobile phone – from another IP address (try 4G/WIFI). Sidekick is pretty smart about avoiding false opens!

Hey Afonso,

Unfortunately Sierra is still on early beta – couldn’t get on the beta channel for my main dev machine :/

24. Vinny Troia

If anyone is having the “login URL is invalid” error, you can NOT log in using Google. You have to set your password and log in manually. Then you will at least get it, close the browser that it opens and quit mail. When you open mail again, it will be logged in.

Hi Amir,

I haven’t tested this on Sierra yet (as it’s not on the Stable channel, yet). My guess is, if the fix doesn’t work on Sierra, there’s only little we can do about it.

1. George Kovolenko

Hi Zak,

Thank you very much for all of your effort in getting sidekick to work. I’ve used your tutorial many times in the past due to apple OS upgrades. I’m now running Sierra 10.12.1. I got to my mail library via the terminal mode, however when I try opening Sidekick.mailbundle, I get a message stating “Unable to read the dictionary of the application or extension because it is not scriptable.”
        /Users/georgekovo/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.22.47 AM.png
        Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong?

25. Luke

Hey Zak,

Thanks for the detailed explantation – however I’m getting stuck on the “Login URL Is Invalid step”

I’m using a company Gmail account so I can’t just ‘create a new email account’

Thanks!

-Luke

Hey Luke,
      You can still create a new account (login/email) and track your Google accounts from within Apple Mail.
      (eg. having a hello@lol.com login would also track all your Apple Mail emails. The only difference is you’d need to log in using hello@lol.com in Hubspot Sales.)

26. Spike

Just in case anyone wants to fix this on MacOs Sierra. Adding the following under the array in the info.plist worked for me:

Supported10.12PluginCompatibilityUUIDs

INSERT YOUR MAIL UUID HERE

27. Elijah

For Sierra, it did work as Spike suggested.

In a nutshell:

In the bundle folder, edit info.plist

Replace:
    SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs

With:
    Supported10.12PluginCompatibilityUUIDs

1. Kwame

Hi Elijah.

Thanks for clarifying this. I followed your steps and I can confirm that everything is working as per normal. Also thanks Zakel for the blog post!

28. Scott M Wasserman

Sierra Works! Thanks Spike!!

FYI you will have replace the key again in sidekick with the UUID from the new mail plist.

Replace:
    SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs

With:
    Supported10.12PluginCompatibilityUUIDs

29. Neil

I confused here. Please guide me on the Sierra workings –

Do I replace –

SupportedPluginCompatibilityUUIDs to Supported10.12PluginCompatibilityUUIDs

OR

Add

Supported10.12PluginCompatibilityUUIDs
    INSERT YOUR MAIL UUID HERE

After the

Thanks for your clarification.

Neil

1. Steve

This login URL is invalid.

1. Steve

OK, I was logging in with a Google account which was causing that issue. Did a password reset so that I can log in with just my email and password and no longer get the error, but also the plugin in Mail does not activate with my account details..

Aw

30. hamzty

hi, i recently updated to sierra and can’t get it working. just did all the things like in the video. using el Capitan this worked. i deleted the old files and then installed the latest package again. now mail shows me the deactivate message. i closed the app and edited the uuids. also added and replaced (tried both) the Supported10.12PluginCompatibilityUUIDs. rebooted but nothing is shown in the setting after starting mail…

what can i do?

hamzty

31. Karin O

Thank you so much! I rely on Sidekick and I can’t find an alternative that functions in a similar way. I just updated to Sierra and your hack works perfectly.

32. Liliana

Hi, Help please I jus updated to Sierra, I followed all the steps, and I cant make it work. If i don’t change the “Supported10.12PluginCompatibilityUUIDs” i get this message: “Contact the makers of these plug-ins for versions that are compatible with Mail 10.0.” And if I change it then my mail doesn’t open.

33. Davinia

Hi Zak,

Thanks for your post! I’ve could fix Sidekick following your tips when I had Yosemite but now that I updated to Sierra, it does not work :(

I followed all the steps but the notifications don;t work. Any ideas?

Thanks for your work!!

34. Brian Mahoney

I am having issues with this fix for Sierra as well. I tried what was suggested here and went further to change the code further. My info.plist is:

BuildMachineOSBuild

macosx10.12
    DTXcode
    0800
    DTXcodeBuild
    8A218a
    NSHumanReadableCopyright
    Copyright © 2014 HubSpot. All rights reserved.
    NSPrincipalClass

800E5C92-87D3-429B-8740-5C6183CD13EA
    21599536-7086-449D-B777-B2880FC27F86
    B61772F2-9975-4EC0-B22F-9A277C46ADD2
    D1EFE124-86FF-4751-BF00-80B2C0D6F2E4
    71562B89-0D90-4588-8E94-A75B701D6443
    9054AFD9-2607-489E-8E63-8B09A749BC61

I matched to other bundles to ensure these keys matched from SideKick to other bundles and this didn’t work either — what am I missing?

BuildMachineOSBuild
    CFBundleDevelopmentRegion
    DTPlatformBuild
    DTSDKBuild
    DTSDKName
    DTXcode
    DTXcodeBuild
    SKBundle

35. Manish

Hi Zak, thanks for your instructions, but they don’t work for me. The only difference here is that I bought a new Macbook Pro with Sierra and tried to follow your instructions on that. But I still get that incompatibility plug-in error when I open Mail. Please advise.

36. Tommy

Hello,

I am able to install sidekick onto 10.12. However, I can’t sign into the app via Mail > Preferences > Sidekick. Every time I do, it doesn’t save.

37. Sonny

I updated to Sierra and followed all the Sierra instructions to get Sidekick to work but now I get this error: “This page requires javascript to work.
    HubSpot apps use javascript to provide a rich and dynamic experience. Please enable javascript in your browser settings to continue using HubSpot. ”

Javascript is enabled in all my browsers and updated on my system. Can you help?